MAN’s top execs do Korea damage control
During a press conference hosted by the Korean unit of MAN at Grand Intercontinental Hotel in southern Seoul on Thursday, three top MAN executives apologized for problems with its vehicles and outlined the company’s future strategy in Korea.
The event was attended by CEO Joachim Drees, Goran Nyberg, executive board member for sales & marketing, and Max Burger, CEO of the commercial automaker’s Korean unit.
“I want to apologize truly for the cost and inconvenience that some of our customers have been facing,” Drees said. “Korea is one of our seven focus markets, and with a long-term perspective, we will continue to invest in this country.”
The Korean subsidiary of the German automaker faced a problem last year after multiple owners of its trucks complained about faulty cooling hoses. Some also reported rusting engines and transmissions that shifted into neutral on their own.
Although MAN announced later it would recall 1,191 dump trucks of four models, MAN truck owners filed lawsuits demanding the company compensate them for damages.
“We are about 30 to 40 percent and up to 90 percent finished with recalls depending on the models,” Burger said, adding that some of the lawsuits were withdrawn.
MAN is offering a new warranty to owners for vehicles with the faulty cooling hoses and Euro 6 engines that are signed up for additional maintenance packages.
Unwanted gear shifting and rusting engines are not included in the program, as owners who made those complaints did not actively request them from MAN.
BY KO JUN-TAE [email@example.com]
More in Industry
Luxury loungewear is no longer just for lounging
KGC to work on a ginseng-based vaccine adjuvant
Hanwha Techwin continues selling CCTV systems overseas
Popeyes to close all branches in Korea this month
Contract signed for Covid-19 vaccine