U.S. sanctions three hacking groups from North KoreaThe United States on Friday sanctioned three entities it accused of conducting cyberattacks on behalf of the North Korean government to generate revenue for the regime’s nuclear and missile programs.
The U.S. Department of the Treasury said the new measures target Lazarus Group, Bluenoroff and Andariel, all of which are controlled by the Reconnaissance General Bureau, North Korea’s primary intelligence bureau.
Lazarus Group’s activities were widely reported after it was blamed for the 2014 cyberattack of Sony Pictures Entertainment and the 2017 WannaCry ransomware attack on countries including the United States and Britain.
Bluenoroff and Andariel are subgroups of Lazarus Group.
“[The] Treasury is taking action against North Korean hacking groups that have been perpetrating cyberattacks to support illicit weapon and missile programs,” U.S. Treasury Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence Sigal Mandelker said in a statement.
“We will continue to enforce existing U.S. and UN sanctions against North Korea and work with the international community to improve cybersecurity of financial networks,” she said.
The sanctions freeze all of the entities’ properties and interests in the United States, as well as those of other entities that the three groups own 50 percent or more of.
Bluenoroff had tried to steal more than $1.1 billion from financial institutions by 2018 and successfully carried out such operations against banks in countries such as South Korea, Bangladesh and India, the Treasury said, citing industry and press reporting.
Andariel, it said, continues to target the South Korean government in order to gather intelligence, and in September 2016, hacked into the then-South Korean defense minister’s personal computer.
Last week a UN panel of experts estimated that the North has acquired as much as $2 billion through cyberattacks and said it is conducting investigations into at least 35 reported cyberattacks involving North Korean actors.
The latest Treasury measures come as denuclearization negotiations between the United States and North Korea remain deadlocked due to Washington’s insistence on Pyongyang’s complete denuclearization and the North’s demands for sanctions relief and security guarantees.
This week the North offered to resume talks in late September but demanded that Washington come up with a new proposal acceptable to Pyongyang. The U.S. State Department welcomed the statement, adding that Washington will continue to seek the North’s final and fully verified denuclearization.
U.S. President Donald Trump also said Thursday that he expects to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong-un again at some point later this year.
The two have had three meetings, but have reached no agreement since they committed to “work toward” the complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula at their first summit in Singapore in June 2018.
More in Politics
Travel ban on former vice minister may be CIO's first case
Yoon's popularity plummets as clash with gov't ends
Ruling party's race for Seoul mayor heats up
Police apologize for misleading public on alleged assault case