Samsung’s Xi’an project full speed ahead despite banSamsung Electronics, the world’s largest memory chipmaker, said Wednesday that it has directed some 200 Korean engineers and workers to China to complete the expansion of its chip manufacturing plant amid the novel coronavirus pandemic.
Samsung Electronics said the engineers and workers, including some from its subcontractors, departed for China on a chartered flight earlier in the day to complete expansion of its second chip factory in Xi’an, Shaanxi Province.
The workers are expected to begin their jobs after quarantining.
“We will follow the instructions of the Chinese government, but we do not know how long the quarantine period would be,” an official at Samsung said.
Since March 28, China has suspended the entry of foreigners, even those who hold visas or residence permits.
Samsung’s dispatch of workers came after Korean Ambassador to China Jang Ha-sung said Monday that the embassy is supporting a discussion between Samsung and the Xi’an city government over the entry of its workers.
Despite the novel coronavirus outbreak, Samsung’s second Xi’an factory celebrated shipment of its products last month. The factory produces 3D V-NAND flash memory chips.
More in Industry
KGC to work on a ginseng-based vaccine adjuvant
Hanwha Techwin continues selling CCTV systems overseas
Popeyes to close all branches in Korea this month
Contract signed for Covid-19 vaccine
Teas the season