The 'underdogma' trap (KOR)

Home > 영어학습 > Bilingual News

print dictionary print

The 'underdogma' trap (KOR)

The author is a national news editor of the JoongAng Ilbo.

The belief that those who are less powerful are good and those with power are evil is referred to as “underdogma,” a term combining “underdog” and “dogma.” American writer Richard Prell first used it in his book, “Underdogma,” in 2012. While he condemned the underdogma phenomenon based on his hardline conservative stance, the term is now widely used to explain the mistake of equating powerfulness with evil and weakness with good.

Opposition People Power Party (PPP) Chairman Lee Jun-seok mentioned underdogma when he criticized the protest by a civic group advocating accessibility rights for people with disabilities to delay on-time departures of subway trains by using wheelchairs.

Bringing up underdogma, he said, “The biggest danger of minority politics is that it creates a sanctuary and blocks people from raising even a single objection to it.” At the party’s supreme committee meeting on Monday, Lee elevated the criticism. “The people with disabilities continue to carry out illegal demonstrations from an uncivilized point of view that their demands are heard when they cause unhappiness and inconvenience to the greatest number of people,” he said.

As Lee’s comments became controversial, members of president-elect Yoon Suk-yeol’s transition team met with Solidarity Against Disability Discrimination (SADD) — the civic group behind the protest — to “seek solutions through communication.” SADD announced they would stop the protests during the commuting hours and continue the fight by shaving their heads. Rep. Kim Ye-ji, Korea’s first visually-impaired lawmaker from the PPP, knelt and said, “I am truly sorry for not understanding, not empathizing and not communicating with proper language.”

The solidarity’s voice is valid. The promise to install elevators at all subway stations hasn’t been fulfilled for 20 years. Now, 94 percent of all stations have elevators, but the remaining 6 percent is still a major barrier.

Yet it is hard to say the protest of halting subways for tens of minutes during rush hour can be justified or inevitable. Chairman Lee also shouldn’t have used provocative expressions such as “uncivilized” and “underdogma” when addressing the issue.

It is true that commuters experienced great inconvenience due to their protests. But most people at the scene remained silent, not because they fell into the underdogma that “the weak are good” or because they agree with their protest method.

Instead, they swallowed the inconvenience and discomfort as they believed that’s how they show consideration for the socially disadvantaged. When such caring attitudes disappear, we grow farther away from civilization. That’s for sure.
장주영 사회에디터
‘약자는 선하고, 강자는 악하다’고 믿는 것을 언더도그마라고 한다. 약자를 뜻하는 언더독(underdog)과 독단적 신념을 뜻하는 도그마(dogma)의 합성어다. 미국의 작가 마이클 프렐이 쓴 『언더도그마』(2012)에서 처음 사용했다. 프렐은 자신의 강경보수 성향을 기반으로 언더도그마 현상을 비판했지만, 현재 이 용어는 강약과 선악을 동일시하는 오류를 설명하는 말로 널리 사용된다.  
이동권을 내세운 장애인 단체의 지하철 시위에 대해 이준석 국민의힘 대표가 연일 비판을 쏟아내면서 언더도그마를 언급했다. 이 대표는 지난 26일 “소수자 정치의 가장 큰 위험성은 성역을 만들고 그에 대한 단 하나의 이의도 제기하지 못하게 틀어막는다는 것에 있다”며 언더도그마 이야기를 꺼냈다. 28일 당 최고위원회에서는 “최대 다수 불행과 불편을 야기해야 주장이 관철된다는 비문명적 관점으로 불법시위를 지속한다”며 수위를 높였다.  
이 대표의 비판이 논란이 되자, 대통령직 인수위원회는 29일 시위를 벌이고 있는 전국장애인차별철폐연대(전장연) 측과 만났다. "소통을 통해 해결책을 찾아 나가겠다"면서다. 이후 전장연은 “출근길 시위를 중단하고 삭발투쟁에 나선다”고 발표했다. 시각장애인인 국민의힘 김예지 의원은 “헤아리지 못해서, 공감하지 못해서, 적절한 단어로 소통하지 못해서 정말 죄송하다”며 무릎을 꿇었다.  
전장연의 목소리에도 일리가 있다. 지하철 역사 내에 엘리베이터를 100% 설치한다는 약속은 20년째 지켜지지 않고 있다. 현재 설치율은 94%에 달하지만, 6%의 공백은 여전히 장애인에게 큰 벽이다. 다만 출근시간 수십분간 지하철을 멈춰 세운 시위방식이 정당했다거나, 불가피했다고 보기는 어렵다. 이 대표도 이 문제를 지적할 때 굳이 ‘비문명적’이나 '언더도그마' 등의 자극적 표현을 쓰지 않았어야 했다.  
시위로 인해 시민들은 큰 불편을 겪은 건 사실이다. 하지만 현장에 있던 시민 다수는 침묵했다. '약자는 선하다'는 언더도그마에 빠졌다거나, 시위방식에 동의해서가 아니다. 시민들이 불편함과 짜증을 내색하지 않고 속으로 삼킨 것은, 그것이 사회적 약자에 대한 배려라고 믿기 때문일 것이다. 배려가 사라질수록 우리는 문명에서 멀어진다.
Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)