Posco to resume operations at typhoon-hit rolling facilities within 3 months
Posco will aim to resume operations at its typhoon-hit rolling facilities within the next three months, the company said Thursday.
The steelmaker’s three blast furnaces in Pohang, North Gyeongsang, resumed operations Tuesday, a week after they were shut down due to flooding caused by Typhoon Hinnamnor. However, its rolling facilities were hit hardest by the heavy rain and still need repair, according to Posco.
“The rolling facilities were damaged the most because they were located closest to the flooded area, and it’s difficult to assess the gravity of the damage,” the company said in a press release. “We are working to remove the dirt and debris from the plant’s floors and underground facilities, while also cleaning, drying and replacing the parts in the facilities.”
As of Thursday morning, 94 percent of the flood water had been drained and 37 percent of power had been supplied. A total of 30,000 employees and staff members were mobilized to the plant during the Chuseok holidays for the restoration process, and the company is continuing its reparations around the clock.
The Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy said Wednesday that it will run a task force to support steelmakers with post-typhoon recovery work. The task force will also look into why such grave damages have been made despite forecast warnings.
BY YOON SO-YEON [email@example.com]