Butterbeer me up
Before butterbeer was a real drink, Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling once said it would taste a little bit like “less-sickly butterscotch.” It used to be that you could only get a pint of butterbeer from The Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade. Now the frothy beverage is one of the most popular drinks at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando.
J.K. Rowling had a way of bringing her charming culinary creations to life in the pages of her Harry Potter series.
From quidditch players pie to pumpkin pasties and acid pops, bloggers, chefs and other Muggles the world over have made her creations into real-life recipes.
There is even a popular English-language cookbook entitled “The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook: From Cauldron Cakes to Knickerbocker Glory,” which brings the books’ food to life.
The JoongAng Ilbo teamed up with chefs at the Grand Hyatt Seoul to try our hand at some of Rowling’s creations.
In the books, it is served warm when Harry and friends visit The Three Broomsticks.
Ingredients for a single jug of butterbeer: 150 milliliters of milk, 1 tablespoon of dark brown sugar, 10 grams of butter, 1 egg yolk, a handful of chocolate shavings.
1. Mix egg yolk and milk together in a bowl.
2. Soften the butter on a heated pan.
3. Mix steps 1 and 2 into a pan and add brown sugar. Stir well and simmer.
4. Serve the beverage in a jug and top it off with chocolate shavings.
Our taste testers said the mixture of milk foam and butter was better than expected. Just as in the novel, butterbeer has an immediate warming effect.
When Gryffindor defeats Ravenclaw in a quidditch match, Harry and his friends celebrate their victory by sipping Pumpkin Fizz - a mixture of lemon juice, sugar, soda and ice.
Ingredients for a single glass of Pumpkin Fizz: 100 grams of pumpkin puree, 10 milliliters of lemon juice, 150 milliliters of lemon-lime soda (i.e. Chilsung Cider) and a few ice cubes
1. To make the puree, cut pumpkin into small pieces, remove seeds and pulp. Boil pumpkin pieces in water until they are tender and soft.
2. Add lemon juice and soda and mix well. Crush ice cubes and add them to your Pumpkin Fizz.
Pumpkin Fizz is first tangy. But the pumpkin’s sweetness creates a pleasant aftertaste. It is lighter than ordinary pumpkin juice and has a moderately sweet and sour taste.
Harry and his friends often visited Hogsmeade Village on the weekend, where they went to Honeydukes, a famous sweet shop. One of their favorite candies was Ice Mice, a sweet that makes your teeth chatter and squeak.
For our recipe, patissier Park Kyu-bong covered mice-shaped ice cream with crushed castella, a Japanese style sponge cake.
Ingredients for six Ice Mice: 360 grams of vanilla ice cream, 60 grams of castella, a handful of sliced almonds, a chocolate bar
1. Shape two scoops of vanilla ice cream into a mouse.
2. Tear the castella into very fine pieces and spread over your mouse-shaped ice cream.
3. Using small pieces of chocolate, make its eyes, nose and ears with sliced almonds.
4. Melt the remaining chocolate, pour it into the shape of a long tail and let it solidify.
It looks a little gross, but once I bit into it, my Ice Mouse offered a well-blended mixture of vanilla ice cream and sponge cake.
Tripe soup was served to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry’s faculty.
Chef Kwon Hee-yeol brought the tripe soup into the real world using tomatoes and cow tripe.
Ingredients for two portions of tripe soup: 200 grams of tripe, 2 celery sticks, 2 carrots, 2 onions, 6 tomatoes, 2 red and 2 green peppers, 2 garlic, one bay leaf, 100 milliliters of red wine, a pinch of pepper, salt and beef consomme.
* How to make
1. Rinse tripe thoroughly and sprinkle a pinch of salt.
2. Boil tripe for about two hours together with 1 celery stick, onion and carrot.
3. When tripe becomes tender, slice it into chunky pieces and season with a couple pinches of salt and pepper. Do not throw away the water after boiling the tripe.
4. Chop 1 celery stick, 1 carrot, 1 onion, 1 garlic and 1 pepper and saute together with olive oil.
5. Add the tripe, tomato and red wine to step 4 with crushed tomatoes. Add another pinch of salt and pepper.
6. Add leftover tripe water to step 5 and simmer for an hour.
7. Depending on one’s preference, add beef consomme.
Just the look of it makes you want to vomit. But the taste of the tomato diminishes the unpopular odor of the tripe.
By Yoon Seo-hyun [firstname.lastname@example.org]
Related Korean Article [중앙일보]
[food&] 기대하시라, 해리포터와 마법의 요리
직접 만들어본 ‘원작’ 속 음식들
『해리 포터』 시리즈를 읽으면서 몹시 궁금했다. 과연 마법세계의 요리, 이름도 희한한 버터 맥주, 개구리 초콜릿, 코딱지 맛 젤리, 민달팽이 젤리들은 과연 어떤 맛일까.
책 『해리 포터의 마법요리』 레시피에 그랜드하얏트 호텔 셰프들의 창의력을 더해 실제로 몇 가지를 만들어 보았다. 상상 속 요리를 실제 맛보고 싶은 이들을 마법의 테이블로 초대한다.
*삼총사가 즐겨 마시는 ‘버터 맥주’
해리와 론, 헤르미온느를 비롯해 호그와트 마법학교 학생들이 즐겨 마시는 버터 맥주. “애들이 맥주를?”하고 놀랄 수도 있지만 알코올이 들어 있지 않은 버터 맛의 유음료다. 일반 맥주와 달리 따뜻하게 먹는다.
- 재료(1잔) 우유 150mL, 흑설탕 1큰술, 버터 10g, 달걀 노른자위 1개, 초콜릿 플레이크 적당량
- 만드는 법 1 그릇에 달걀 노른자위를 넣고 우유를 조금씩 부으면서 거품기로 젓는다. 2 버터는 중탕하거나 살짝 데운 프라이팬에 녹인다. 3 작은 냄비에 1과 2, 흑설탕을 넣고 거품기로 저으며 약한 불에 끓인다. 4 맥주잔에 담고 초콜릿 플레이크를 얹는다. …