Japan crisis a blow to concerts
Through Private Curve, his local concert agency, the American singer said yesterday the concert would be postponed until autumn, without elaborating further.
“I am very sorry that I have to postpone the Seoul concert due to the situation in Japan,” the agency quoted Benet as saying. “But I look forward to visiting Korea again after rescheduling my tour as soon as possible.”
Kate Kim, an assistant PR manager at Private Curve, said Benet had been scheduled to have two week-long concerts in Japan and that he did his best to go ahead with the plan, but decided to cancel the Japan and Korea legs of his “Back to Me” tour.
“We were only notified of the postponement this morning,” Kim said.
Because the concert has been postponed, not canceled, he will not incur a penalty for breach of contract. The agency is currently in the process of contacting ticket buyers to provide refunds.
“We are grateful that clients have expressed their condolences to Japan instead of complaining about the postponement,” Kim added.
“The band is disappointed that their first visit to Seoul has been postponed, especially because the last time the guys were there with Oasis they received a venue-shaking (literally!) reception,” a press release from Beady Eye said.
Other artists cancelled their trips to Seoul earlier this year: Fran Healy, the lead singer and songwriter of the Scottish band Travis; Raul Midon, an American singer-songwriter; and Ke$ha, one of the most popular U.S. pop singers. The concerts were originally set for March 18, 19 and 29, respectively.
Ke$ha was quoted as saying by Hyundai Card, the local concert organizer, that it was “not appropriate to proceed with a concert with a party theme when the world is in deep sorrow over the Japan earthquake.” She had planned to ask her audience to dress up like they were going to a party.
Late last month, the Salzburg Mozarteum Orchestra canceled its appearance at the 11th Tongyeong International Music Festival, where they were set to play the opening concert, citing fears of radioactivity from Japan.
The world-renowned Austrian orchestra gave their notification only two days before the annual festival was set to open, baffling both the organizer and the audience. Festival artists pulled together at the last minute to provide a preview of their respective concerts at the opening event. The festival said it is currently taking steps to ensure they receive compensation for the abrupt change.
By Seo Ji-eun [firstname.lastname@example.org]
한글 관련 기사 [CBS노컷]
공연계, 일본 대지진 여진으로 ‘흔들’
에릭베네, 내한공연 연기 “日지진 때문에…”
일본 대지진 및 후쿠시마 원전 사고로 해외 팝스타들의 내한공연이 연일 취소되는 가운데, 에릭 베네도 내한공연을 가을로 연기했다.
에릭 베네 내한공연 관계자는 7일 “오는 4월 12일 예정됐던 공연이 연기됐다”며 “일본 지지의 여파로 아시아-유럽 투어가 전체적으로 연기된 상황”이라고 밝혔다.
공연기획사 측은 “에릭 베네 측에서도 계속 노력을 했지만 일본 공연이 2주간 모두 취소됐다”며 “이번 투어는 가을로 연기된다”고 덧붙였다.
에릭 베네는 공연기획사를 통해 “일본에서의 상황으로 인해 한국 콘서트를 부득이하게 연기할 수 밖에 없게 됐다”며 “조속히 공연 스케줄을 조정하여 한국에 꼭 다시 갈 수 있기를 기대한다”고 전했다.
그는 “한국팬 여러분들의 너그러운 이해에 감사드린다”며 “곧 다시 찾아가도록 하겠다”고 인사했다.
한편, 지난 3월 11일 일어난 일본 대지진 이후 3월 18일 예정됐던 프랜 힐리 내한공연과 3월 29일 케샤 공연, 5월 15일 예정됐던 비디 아이(Beady Eye) 공연 등이 잇달아 취소돼 팝팬들의 아쉬움이 날로 커져가고 있다.
More in Arts & Design
Nam June Paik Art Center to host two online talks this week in memory of the artist
K.O.N.G Gallery offers optimism with its 'post Covid-19' exhibition
Museums and theaters set to reopen on Tuesday
Kim Young-taek, 'the master of Korean pen art,' dies age 76
Chang Ucchin retrospective