Pyongyang demanding return of 9 defectors

Home > National > Politics

print dictionary print

Pyongyang demanding return of 9 defectors

North Korea has demanded that Seoul return the nine defectors who drifted in waters south of the Northern Limit Line on June 11, a spokesman from the South Korean government said yesterday.

The statement came addressed from the North Korean Red Cross to its counterpart around noon yesterday, saying, “If they are not immediately returned, it will only affect inter-Korean relations badly.” The statement also referred to South Korean media reports from Wednesday, which had said the nine were being questioned by South Korean intelligence authorities.

An official from the Ministry of Unification also said yesterday that the nine North Koreans had come south in two engineless boats, not one. The official also said the nine are two families in total, with five men and four women. There are four children. The occupations of the adults were simply disclosed as “laborers” by the official.

“At this time, we do not plan to take a specific form of action,” said the Unification Ministry. “The North Koreans are under investigation and appropriate action will be taken once their intentions are clear on defection. It is what we have done until now.”

Yesterday was the first time the South Korean government officially announced that the nine people had defected. Unification Minister Hyun In-taek said on Wednesday that he had been “unaware” of the defectors until “that day when he saw the news,” provoking criticism over the ministry’s capabilities.


By Christine Kim [christine.kim@joongang.co.kr]


한글 관련 기사 [중앙일보]

북한, 귀순한 주민 9명 송환 요구

“안 보내면 남북 악영향” 위협
현인택 통일, 5일간 귀순 몰라

북한이 16일 판문점 적십자 채널을 통해 11일 남측으로 귀순한 북한주민 9명의 송환을 요구했다. 통일부는 이날 “북측 조선적십자회가 ‘보도에 의하면 북측 주민 9명이 연평도 해상에서 월선해 (남측의) 조사를 받고 있다’고 하면서 이들의 조속한 송환을 대한적십자사 측에 요구해왔다”고 밝혔다.

북측은 이들이 타고 온 선박도 돌려줄 것을 요구했다. 통일부 당국자는 “북측이 ‘귀순의사니 뭐니 하면서 즉시 돌려보내지 않으면 북남 관계에 더욱 악영향을 미치게 된다’고 위협했다”고 전했다.

귀순 사실이 알려진 지 하루 만에 북측이 송환을 요구함에 따라 이 문제를 둘러싸고 남북 간 신경전이 예상된다. 북한은 지난 2월 남하한 31명 가운데 4명이 자유 의사에 따라 귀순하자 ‘귀순공작’이라고 주장하며 거세게 반발했다. 통일부 당국자는 정부의 향후 대응에 대해 “조사결과와 주민의 자유의사에 따라 처리할 예정”이라고 말했다.

앞서 통일부 당국자는 이날 “북한 주민 9명이 소형 선박 2척을 이용해 서해 북방한계선을 넘어와 귀순 의사를 표시했다”며 관련 사실을 공식 확인했다. 귀순자는 두 가족으로 남자 성인 3명, 여자 성인 2명, 어린이 4명(남녀 각각 2명)이다. 성인들은 노동자 출신으로 현재 관계기관에서 귀순 경위 등을 조사하고 있다. 이날 북한은 이례적으로 ‘보도에 따르면’이라고 언급했다. 이 때문에 북한이 귀순자들의 정확한 신상을 파악하지 못했을 가능성이 제기된다. 북한의 주민 통제력이 약해졌을 수 있다는 얘기다.

◆외교안보 라인, 정보공유 부실 논란=현인택 통일부 장관이 집단 귀순 사실을 닷새 동안이나 모르고 있었던 것으로 드러나 정부 내 대북 정보 공조에 문제가 있다는 지적이 나오고 있다.

현 장관은 15일 열린 국회 외교통상통일위원회에서 ‘북한 주민 귀순 사실을 알고 있었느냐’는 한나라당 정옥임 의원의 질의에 “오늘 보도를 통해 알았다”고 답변했다. 대북 정책 주무부처의 수장이 귀순 당일(11일)부터 15일 관련 보도가 나올 때까지 5일간 정보를 접하지 못했던 셈이다. 통일부 당국자들도 귀순 사실을 전혀 파악하지 못했던 것으로 밝혀졌다. 북한 주민들을 태운 배를 발견한 후 안전하게 귀순시킨 군 당국도 국가정보원 측으로 귀순자의 신병을 넘긴 이후부터는 관련 정보를 제공받지 못한 것으로 알려졌다.

More in Politics

Lawmaker forfeits PPP membership amid corruption allegations

Moon's UN speech falls flat

Moon proposes formally ending Korean War in keynote UN speech

Prosecutors raid homes of Choo's son and others implicated in scandal

Moon talks up Korea's Covid response in UN address

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now