Janggyeongpanjeon Depositories of Haein Temple
Janggyeongpanjeon Hall, the home of the Tripitaka Koreana, which consists of more than 80,000 wooden printing blocks made in the Goryeo period (918-1392), is also called the Temple of Buddhist Law. The hall was built in the 15th century and is the oldest building in the temple.
Although it’s unclear when the building was first built, it was expanded and renovated in the third year of King Sejo (1457) of the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910). It was not damaged during the Japanese invasion of Joseon in 1592 because of its location in the middle of the mountain.
The building was repaired in the 14th year of King Gwanghaegun (1622) and in the second year of King Injo (1624).
The are two buildings on the site: one with 15 rooms and another with two rooms. The building on the south side is called Sudarajang Depository. The building on the north side is called Beopbojeon Hall. Each room has a window, but the sizes of the windows are different.
Janggyeongpanjeon Hall was listed as a Unesco World Heritage site in 1995.
More in Korean Heritage
Off-limits no more
[ZOOM KOREA] For this map collector, peace and happiness come hand in hand
Video game developer Riot Games to host online exhibit for Hanbok Day
This year's Royal Culture Festival delivers the palaces to your doorstep
Monthlong Korean royal palace festival kicks off this weekend