Korea’s only three-story Buddhist temple structure

Home > Culture > Korean Heritage

print dictionary print

Korea’s only three-story Buddhist temple structure


Geumsan Temple on Mount Moak was built in the first year of King Beop (599) of the Baekje Dynasty. It was reconstructed by Monk Jinpyoyulsa in the second year of King Hyegong (766) of the Silla Dynasty.

The hall was burnt down during the Japanese invasion of Korea and was rebuilt in the 13th year of King Injo (1635). As a Buddhist sanctuary with a preserved Maitreya Bodhisattva statue, it was also called by other names like Yonghwajeon, Sanhojeon and Jangnyukjeon.

It contains five rooms in the front and four rooms in the side on the first and second floor, while there are three rooms in the front and two rooms in the side on the third floor.

Each floor has its own names; the first is called Daejabojeon (Hall of Great Mercy and Treasure), the second Yonghwajihoe (Gathering of Dragon and Beauty) and the third is Mireukjeon (Hall of Maitreya).

As a whole, it is considered as an important cultural property in Korea, being the only three-story wooden structure in a Buddhist temple.

Name: Mireukjeon Hall of Geumsansa Temple, Gimje

Period: Joseon Period (1392-1910)

Location: Gimje, North Jeolla

Status: National Treasures No. 62

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)