Delivery deal could be undone as contractors cry foul
The grand bargain that was supposed to right the wrongs in the delivery business and avert a strike is now being questioned by a key constituency.
Delivery contractors, which work with large logistics companies to get packages to homes and businesses, have thrown a spanner in the works just weeks after a groundbreaking tripartite agreement was hammered out.
The contractors are objecting on the grounds that they were not party to a second round of discussions.
Last month, the logistics companies, deliverymen and contractors agreed that logistics firms will be responsible for sorting packages, not deliverymen. After the first agreement was reached, labor and the logistics companies signed a second agreement to dispatch 6,000 workers by Thursday, as deliverymen said they would go on strike unless the logistics companies offered specifics about the arrival of reinforcements.
“We demand a re-examination of the agreement from square one,” the Association of Delivery Contractors said in a statement Thursday.
It said it will not take part in future agreements unless the second agreement is scrapped.
An organization was established in December by delivery workers, logistics companies and the government to improve working conditions of deliverymen. The Association of Delivery Contractors participated.
The next round of discussions is scheduled to take place on Feb. 17.
CJ Logistics had promised to add 4,000 workers to sort packages, while Hanjin Transportation and Lotte Global Logistics each promised 1,000.
BY JIN MIN-JI [firstname.lastname@example.org]