Allied forces launch air strikes against Qaddafi

Home > National > Politics

print dictionary print

Allied forces launch air strikes against Qaddafi

테스트

A doomed warplane plummets toward earth after it was shot down over the outskirts of Benghazi, eastern Libya, Saturday. An object, thought to be the pilot, was seen to eject from the cockpit shortly before impact. [AP /YONHAP]

As military clashes between Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi and U.S. and European allies escalates in Libya, Seoul is reviewing a plan to evacuate the remaining 116 Koreans from the northern African country, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade said yesterday.

“The government is assessing the situation in Libya by closely consulting with the Korean Embassy there,” said a Foreign Ministry official.

The official said the UN-authorized air strikes are aimed at Libyan military facilities, adding that the government will pull out all remaining Koreans from Libya “if necessary.”

The official said the ministry has secured the contact information for all remaining Korean nationals in Libya. There were 68 Koreans in the capital of Tripoli as of yesterday.

Among the 48 Korean nationals staying in areas outside Tripoli, 26 Koreans were staying in Benghazi, the eastern Libyan city serving as headquarters for the rebel forces, while 10 were in Misurata and seven in Sirte, the ministry said. Misurata and Sirte are located between Tripoli and Benghazi.

The official said the Koreans were already informed of where to assemble if the evacuation plan is put in place. The ministry would first use land routes to evacuate Koreans, the official said.

Korea’s anti-piracy destroyer Choi Young, used to evacuate Koreans from Libya amid the growing pro-democracy rally earlier this month, would not be mobilized this time, the official said.

But the ministry is keeping the destroyer near Egypt in case it is needed.

On Saturday, U.S. and European allies hit Libyan coastal areas controlled by Qaddafi forces with missiles - including volley after volley of Tomahawk cruise missiles - to enforce a UN-mandated no-fly zone and to protect antigovernment protesters from being overwhelmed by pro-Qaddafi forces.


By Moon Gwang-lip [joe@joongang.co.kr]


Related Korean Article[연합]

최영함 이집트 근해서 리비아 투입 대기

‘잔류 교민 철수 지원에 대비’

리비아의 우리 국민 철수를 지원하고 아덴만 해역으로 향하던 청해부대 최영함(4천500t급)이 20일 항로를 바꿔 이집트 인근 공해상에서 대기하고 있다.

국방부 관계자는 이날 "최영함이 수에즈 운하를 통과하기 직전에 방향을 바꿨다"며 "최영함이 운하를 일단 통과하고 나면 리비아로 다시 돌아가기 어렵기 때문에 만약의 경우에 대비해 조치를 취한 것"이라고 밝혔다.

이 관계자는 "이는 서방 다국적군의 리비아 공습에 따라 상황이 악화하고 있다는 판단에 따른 것"이라며 "최영함은 당분간 이집트 근해에서 우리 국민의 추가 철수 지원을 위해 리비아에 투입될 준비를 하고 있을 것"이라고 설명했다.

그는 또 "최영함 파견은 우리 국민의 안전 확보를 위한 조치로, 현재 진행 중인 서방 주요국의 리비아 공습과는 직접 관련이 없다"며 "오늘 오후 외교통상부 제2차관 주재 정부 대책회의에서 이 같은 방침을 최종 확정했다"고 덧붙였다.

최영함은 앞서 지난 3일 리비아 수도 트리폴리에서 우리 국민 32명을 지중해 몰타로 철수시킨 데 이어 지난 14일에도 리비아 북동부 벵가지항에서 교민 2명과 취재진 3명 등 5명을 태우고 16일 오전 5시께 그리스 크레타섬에 내려줬다.

최영함은 연료와 식자재 등 보급품을 보충한 뒤 19일 오전 1시께 크레타섬을 출발했다.

미국과 프랑스, 영국 등 서방 주요국이 공습 작전에 돌입한 리비아에는 이날 현재 트리폴리 70명, 미스라타 10명, 시르테 7명, 브레가 1명, 벵가지 26명, 사리르 4명 등 모두 118명의 우리 국민이 체류 중인 것으로 정부는 파악하고 있다.

한편, 정부는 리비아에 남아 있는 우리 국민의 안전과 현지에 진출한 우리 기업 등을 고려해 최영함을 비롯한 우리 군이 리비아 공습에 참여하는 것에 대해 소극적인 것으로 전해졌다.

More in Politics

Moon replaces land minister as poll numbers plummet

Aide at center of Lee Nak-yon probe dies in apparent suicide

Moon's approval rating reaches all-time low: Realmeter poll

Disciplinary hearing for top prosecutor is postponed

Moon appoints ally to keep pressure on Yoon

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now