Nuclear power play (KOR)

Home > 영어학습 > Bilingual News

print dictionary print

Nuclear power play (KOR)

JANG WON-SEOK
The author is an economic policy team reporter of the JoongAng Ilbo.

On July 24, President Moon Jae-in said there are claims that absurdly distort the recent move to operate nuclear plants and asked for appropriate responses. That was a reaction to a series of reports that problems may arise in electricity supply because of the nuclear phase out. In fact, nuclear plant maintenance and reoperation was on schedule. It is not true that the government arbitrarily increased nuclear plant operation.

What made Moon speak up was a press release from the Korea Hydro and Nuclear Power (KHNP) on July 22. It said that efforts were being made to reoperate two nuclear plants, the Hanbit 3 and Hanult 2, ahead of the peak demand period, and the planned preventative maintenance on Hanbit 1 and Hanul 1 would be rescheduled for after the peak. It could be interpreted that the nuclear plants were being reopened in preparation for the hot weather.

The press release also stated that a total of five reactors will be able to provide an additional 5 million kilowatt hours of electricity during the peak demand period. It could be interpreted that five additional reactors will be operated. As some media misunderstood the release and made false reports, the KHNP issued an additional press release on July 23 clarifying that the maintenance had been scheduled before the summer.

What caused further confusion was a social media post by KHNP CEO Chung Jae-hoon. On July 23, he said on social media that, “They say the government and the KHNP hurriedly operated two additional nuclear reactors. It is frustrating.”

But the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy is speechless. A source said, “I want to ask who is the frustrated one. The CEO talks as if he is not related, when the chaos was caused by the press release.” Kim Hye-jeong, a non-standing member of the Nuclear Safety and Security Commission, said in a radio interview that the KHNP was responsible for the controversy.

After all, it is not up to the KHNP to decide whether to operate a nuclear plant or not. It is solely decided by the Nuclear Safety and Security Commission. However, the KHNP attached a photo of CEO Chung on a field visit to the Hanul-2 reactor. It was clearly intended to imply that thanks to them the electricity supply would be smooth. On July 25, Minister of Trade, Industry and Energy Paik Un-gyu said the agency may have been overzealous.

Coincidentally, Jeong served as head of energy resources at the Ministry of Knowledge and Economy, the current Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy, in 2011, when a blackout occurred on Sept. 15 of that year. He was in charge of nuclear power plant operations.

If the KHNP didn’t know, it was a mistake. If it did know, it was greed. Whether it was a mistake or greed, the head of the agency is ultimately responsible. If he dodges responsibility, the organization and the employees would be blamed.

JoongAng Ilbo, July 26, Page 29


정재훈 한수원 사장의 유체 이탈 화법 장원석 경제정책팀 기자
문재인 대통령이 24일 “원전 가동 상황을 터무니없이 왜곡하는 주장이 있다”며 대응을 주문했다. 탈원전 때문에 전력 수급에 문제가 생긴 것 아니냐는 취지의 보도가 연이어 나온 데 따른 것이다. 실제 원전 정비와 재가동은 예정대로 진행됐을 뿐, 정부가 인위적으로 가동 원전을 늘렸다는 것은 사실과 다르다. (중앙일보 7월 23일 2면)
문 대통령까지 나서게 한 논란의 발단은 한국수력원자력이 22일 느닷없이 낸 보도자료 때문이다. 한수원은 “한빛 3호기, 한울 2호기 등 2개 원전을 전력 피크 기간 이전에 재가동할 수 있도록 노력한다. 한빛 1호기와 한울 1호기 계획예방정비 착수 시기는 피크 시점 뒤로 조정한다”고 설명했다. 폭염에 대비해 멈춰선 원전을 긴급하게 가동하겠다는 것으로 해석되는 부분이다.
자료엔 “전력 피크 기간 내 총 5개 호기, 500만㎾의 추가 전력공급이 가능해질 전망”이라는 내용도 있다. 원전 5기를 추가로 가동하는 것으로 해석할 여지가 충분했다. 실제 내용을 오해한 일부 언론의 보도가 잇따르자 한수원은 23일 ‘정비 일정은 폭염 이전에 결정돼 있었다’며 추가 설명자료를 냈다. 소 잃고 외양간 고치기다.
혼란을 더 키운 건 정재훈 한수원 사장의 행동이다. 그는 23일 소셜네트워크서비스(SNS)를 통해 “폭염으로 정부와 한수원이 허겁지겁 원전 2기를 추가로 가동했다고 오버를 한다”며 “참 답답하다”고 밝혔다.
산업부는 황당하다는 반응이다. 산업부 관계자는 “누가 답답한 건지 묻고 싶다”며 “뜬금없는 자료로 이 난리가 났는데 자기와 상관없다는 유체 이탈 화법”이라고 꼬집었다. 김혜정 원자력안전위원회 비상임위원도 한 라디오 방송에 출연해 “한수원이 원인 제공자”라고 지적했다.
따지고 보면 원전 가동 여부는 한수원이 결정할 수 있는 일이 아니다. 전적으로 원자력안전위원회의 몫이다. 그런데 한수원은 보도자료에 정 사장이 한울 2호기 현장 점검에 나선 사진을 첨부했다. 원전을 내세워 전력 수급에 문제가 없도록 전력을 기울이고 있다는 걸 홍보하려는 의도가 분명했다. “최선을 다하겠다는 의지가 좀 과했던 것 같다”는 게 백운규 산업부 장관이 25일 기자들에게 내놓은 해석이다.
공교롭게도 정 사장은 9ㆍ15 대정전 사태가 있었던 2011년 지식경제부(현 산업부) 에너지자원실장을 지냈다. 주무 실장으로 발전소 가동부터 전력 수급까지 두루 다뤘다. 몰랐다면 실수고, 알았다면 과욕이다. 실수든 과욕이든 최종 책임자는 기관장이다. 책임을 외면하면 화살은 회사와 직원에게 돌아간다.

More in Bilingual News

A matter of greed, or lazy politics? (KOR)

Shame all around (KOR)

A nation of big brothers (KOR)

Saving Private Seo (KOR)

Dereliction of duty (KOR)

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now