중앙데일리

Colleges rebuked for overseas hiring mess

May 28,2009
The Education Ministry said last Thursday that six universities failed to invite nine professors from abroad as they had earlier promised when designated as beneficiaries of government subsidies last year as part of the “World Class University” project.

In response, the ministry has said it will slash the budget it had earmarked for the respective universities, which are Seoul National, Korea, Sungkyunkwan, Kyung Hee, Gyeongsang National and Inha.

The amount to be cut for each school ranges from 260 million won ($205,660) to 2.2 billion won.

The ministry launched the World Class University project last year with the goal of boosting the level of research at universities nationwide by providing subsidies so schools could attract prominent scholars from abroad.

It endorsed proposals from 32 universities to bring 283 professors to Korea.

Those 274 professors who have signed contracts are set to start lectures starting in the fall.



dictionary dictionary | 프린트 메일로보내기 내블로그에 저장