Prosecutor in bribery scandal resigns
Park Ki-joon, head of the scandal-enmeshed Busan District Prosecutors’ Office, submitted his resignation today.
Park, 51, was among 57 retired and active prosecutors alleged to have received bribes from a construction worker in Busan for more than two decades. An MBC current affairs program “PD Diary” on Tuesday aired a feature on the scandal. The construction worker, surnamed Jeong, claimed that he has bribed prosecutors with cash, gifts, meals and even services performed by sex workers.
Park was one of two senior prosecutors identified in the program. PD Diary also played a recorded phone conversation between Park and Jeong in which the prosecutor was heard as telling the construction worker, “We’re like brothers.”
The prosecutor later denied his connection to Jeong and said he couldn’t recall any phone exchange with the construction worker.
Park had been in prosecution for 25 years. In 2008, he was the director of the crime prevention policy department at the Ministry of Justice.
By Yoo Jee-ho, Staff Reporter [email@example.com]
More in Politics
South's military overheard order to kill fisheries official
PPP condemns prosecution's decision clearing Choo, moves to appeal
Fisheries official was defecting, says Coast Guard
Moon calls for restoring communications with the North after killing at sea
North warns South not to violate NLL