Military on alert as shell fired across NLL

Home > National > Politics

print dictionary print

Military on alert as shell fired across NLL

North Korea fired a shell across the de facto maritime border yesterday and the South Korean military responded with warning shots, the South’s military said.

The shell landed just miles from the same island that Pyongyang launched a firing attack on late last year, an incident that may provoke local sensitivities and threaten rapprochement efforts between the two sides.

Seoul is now investigating whether the projectile was fired intentionally.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) added that three artillery shots were heard at 1 p.m. in the southern vicinity of Yongmae Island, which lies 11 kilometers (7 miles) north of the Northern Limit Line (NLL).

“One of them was estimated to have fallen near the NLL and we responded with three K-9 howitzer warning shots at around 2 p.m.,” a JCS official said, adding that the response came after an interim analysis of the situation.

The latest incident erupted amid enlivened bridge-building between the two Koreas as members of stalled six-party talks attempt to get the denuclearization talks back on track.

The exact location in which the shell landed was not confirmed, but the JCS said its trajectory had already been tracked across the maritime border, which is situated 8 kilometers from Yeonpyeong.

The sparsely populated island was bombed on Nov. 23 in a shock attack that put two civilians and two soldiers from the South on the casualty list. However the island was apparently left unharmed yesterday. The military urged local residents to run to nearby evacuation centers but reported no damage to its personnel or bases.

The North is believed to be in the process of live-firing exercises, for which it issued no advance warning. Yesterday’s shelling comes days before Seoul and Washington team up for the Ulchi Freedom Guardian war drills.


By Moon Gwang-lip [joe@joongang.co.kr]


한글 관련 기사 [중앙일보]

북한, 연평도 NLL 포격 … 군 K-9 자주포 3배 응사

두 차례 걸쳐 2발 넘어와
군 “보복 차원 6발 맞포격”

북한군이 10일 오후 두 차례에 걸쳐 서해 연평도 동북쪽 북방한계선(NLL) 쪽으로 포 사격을 가해 우리 군이 대응사격을 실시했다고 합동참모본부가 밝혔다. 북한의 NLL 쪽 포 사격은 지난해 11월 23일 연평도 포격 도발 이후 처음이다.

 합참 관계자는 “이날 오후 1시쯤 북한 황해남도 연안군 용매도 인근에서 북한군의 해안포 발사로 추정되는 폭발음이 세 차례 청취됐다”며 “이 중 1발이 NLL을 넘은 것으로 판명돼 오후 2시쯤 해병대 연평부대가 K-9 자주포 3발을 응사했다”고 밝혔다. 북한군은 이날 저녁 7시46분쯤에도 같은 지역에서 2발의 해안포를 발사해 그중 1발이 NLL 남쪽에 떨어졌으며, 군은 8시2분쯤 K-9 자주포 3발을 대응사격 했다. 군은 북한의 1, 2차 포 사격 시 각각 포탄 1발이 NLL 남쪽에 떨어지자 2~3배 보복한다는 차원에서 3발씩 응사했다.  

군은 1차 대응 사격이 지연된 것과 관련해 “오후 1시25분쯤 국제상선통신망을 통해 경고 통신을 하고 이후 대응 수준을 정했다”고 말했다. 우리 군은 대응사격 직후 연평도 주민에게 대피 안내 방송을 실시했으며, 우리 군과 주민의 피해는 없는 것으로 확인됐다. 용매도는 NLL에서 11㎞가량 떨어져 있으며 연평도와의 거리는 19㎞ 정도다.

 군은 북한의 포 사격이 16일부터 실시 예정인 한·미 연합 을지프리덤가디언(UFG) 연습과 관련 있을 것으로 보고 있다. 군 관계자는 “북한은 지난해 8월 9일에도 UFG 연습을 앞두고 백령도 인근에서 110여 발의 사격을 실시했고 이 중 10여 발이 NLL을 넘어왔다”며 “북한군 훈련의 일환인지 UFG 연습에 대한 반발 차원인지를 분석 중”이라고 말했다. 북한군 판문점대표부는 지난 7일 “UFG 연습에 대한 우리(북) 군대와 인민의 초강경 대응 의지와 입장에는 예나 지금이나 추호의 변화가 없다”며 한·미에 이 연습의 중지를 요구하는 공개서한을 발표한 바 있다. 한미연합사는 16일부터 25일까지 해외 미군 3000여 명을 포함한 미군 3만여 명과 군단·함대·비행단급 이상 지휘부 등 한국군 5만6000여 명이 참가하는 UFG 연습을 실시한다.

북한 군의 포 사격은 정부와 대한적십자사가 이날 북한 수해지원을 위해 초코파이 192만 개와 라면 160만 개 등을 보내겠다고 통보한 가운데 이뤄졌다. 북한은 당초 식량과 시멘트를 요구한 바 있어 이에 대한 반발 가능성도 있다.

남북은 이에 앞서 지난달 인도네시아 발리에서 처음으로 비핵화 회담을 갖기도 했으나 이번 포 사격으로 남북관계가 얼어붙을 수도 있다.

북한의 이번 포 사격은 우리 군이 지난 6월 창설한 서북도서방위사령부의 대응 태세를 떠보기 위한 것일 수도 있다. 북측의 포격은 서북도서방위사령부 창설 이후 처음이다.

More in Politics

South's military overheard order to kill fisheries official

PPP condemns prosecution's decision clearing Choo, moves to appeal

Fisheries official was defecting, says Coast Guard

Moon calls for restoring communications with the North after killing at sea

North warns South not to violate NLL

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now