Lines lengthen at Yeosu after bookings stopped

Home > >

print dictionary print

Lines lengthen at Yeosu after bookings stopped

테스트

Visitors waiting to get into the Aquarium Pavilion, the most popular attraction at the 2012 Yeosu Expo, form a line of about 3 kilometers (1.86 miles) from early morning yesterday in front of the gate of Hanwha Aqua Planet in Yeosu, South Jeolla. [NEWSIS] 2012년 여수 엑스포 행사장에서 가장 인기 있는 아쿠아리움에 들어가기 위해 관람객들이 어제 아침 일찍부터 3km나 되는 줄을 서서 기다리고 있다. [뉴시스]

YEOSU, South Jeolla - A day after the 2012 Yeosu Expo unplugged its advance reservation system for attractions and announced that everything would be operated on a first-come-first-served basis, attendance plummeted, the lines were long and tempers short.
*unplug: 전기를 뽑다
*advance reservation: 사전 예약
*first-come-first-served basis: 선착순
*short temper: 성마른, 발끈 화를 내는
전남 여수 - 2012년 여수 엑스포가 주요 전시관 입장 사전 예약제를 폐지하고 선착순으로 입장시키겠다고 발표한지 하루 만에 방문객은 급감했고 입장 대기 줄은 길어졌고 관람객들은 발끈 화를 냈다.

At 10 a.m. yesterday, the line to get into the Aquarium Pavilion, one of the most popular exhibitions, was about three kilometers long (1.86 miles) and it stayed that way until late in the afternoon.
*aquarium: 수족관
*stay that way: 그 상태를 유지하다
어제 오전 10시 가장 인기 있는 전시관인 아쿠아리움에 들어가려는 줄은 3km에 이르렀고 이 상태는 오후 늦게까지 이어졌다.

"This is ridiculous!" thundered 37-year-old Park Seong-mo, who came from Jeonju, North Jeolla, to enjoy the expo. "I've been waiting in this damn line since 9 a.m. and the staff tells me I'll be waiting until 4 p.m. Am I here to see attractions or just hang out with a lot of strangers?"
*ridiculous: 말도 안 되는, 터무니없는, 웃기는
*thunder: (화가 나서 큰 소리로) 고함치다(불평하다)
*hang out: ~에서 많은 시간을 보내다
"아침 9시부터 줄 서서 기다렸는데, 오후 4시에나 들어갈 수 있다니 이게 말이 됩니까! 제가 여기에 전시물 보러 왔지, 낯선 사람들과 할 일 없이 시간 보내려고 온 게 아닙니다." 전북 전주에서 엑스포 관람하러 온 박성모(37)씨는 화가 나서 큰 소리로 고함쳤다.

On Sunday, the expo organizing committee scrapped its ticket reservation system for the most popular eight exhibitions, including the aquarium, after angry complaints from visitors who didn't book in advance and had to wait in long lines or couldn't get in at all.
*scrap: 폐기하다
*book in advance: 사전에 예약하다
사전에 예약을 하지 않아서 긴 줄을 서야 했거나 전혀 입장할 수 없어서 성난 방문객들이 거세게 항의하자 일요일에 엑스포 조직위원회는 아쿠아리움을 포함한 가장 인기 있는 8개 전시관의 입장 사전 예약제를 전면 폐기했다.

The organizers had sold 30 percent of available tickets through its official Web site and a smartphone application, and the remaining 70 percent though 85 machines at the expo. Before the expo opened, the organizers were proud of their reservation system, predicting the Yeosu Expo would foster a better exhibition culture in Korea because people wouldn't have to wait in long lines.
*be proud of~ :~를 자랑으로 여기다
*foster: 조성하다, 발전시키다
조직위원회는 입장권 30%를 공식 웹사이트와 스마트폰 앱을 통해 팔았고 나머지 입장권 70%를 엑스포 구내 85개 발권기에서 판매했다. 엑스포를 개막하기 전에 조직위원회는 관람객들이 긴 줄을 서서 입장 순서를 기다릴 필요가 없기 때문에 한국의 관람 문화를 한 단계 끌어올릴 것이라며 여수 엑스포 전시관 입장 예약제를 자랑했었다.
번역: 이무영 정치사회부장(mooyoung@joongang.co.kr)



Korea JoongAng Daily
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now