New images show Yongbyon work

Home > National > Politics

print dictionary print

New images show Yongbyon work




WASHINGTON - New satellite imagery offers further signs that North Korea has restarted a nuclear reactor capable of producing plutonium for bombs, a U.S. research institute said Wednesday.

North Korea in April announced plans to restart the reactor at Yongbyon that had been shuttered in 2007 under a disarmament deal. Satellite imagery at the end of August showed steam coming from an adjacent generator building, suggesting North Korea was in the process of starting up the reactor.
The U.S.-Korea Institute at Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies says that a satellite photo from Sept. 19 shows hot water being released through a drainpipe that is part of a cooling system for the five-megawatt reactor. That probably means the reactor is now operating and its generators are producing power.

The findings are being published on the institute’s Web site, 38 North, and are based on analysis by Nick Hansen, a retired intelligence expert who monitors developments in the North’s weapons programs.

North Korea has yet to announce that the reactor is working again. The United States has said that any move to reopen it would be a “very serious matter” and violate United Nations Security Council resolutions.

The reactor can be used both to generate electricity and to produce fissile material for nuclear weapons. Once it is operating, it can produce about 6 kilograms of plutonium a year - enough for one or two bombs. North Korea has conducted three nuclear test explosions since 2006, and experts estimate it already has enough plutonium for between four and eight crude weapons.

According to the 38 North analysis, hot water from the drainpipe reaches the bank of the nearby Kuryong River and produces white foam which is visible in the overhead imagery. Although the water is used to cool the reactor, that doesn’t mean it is radioactive.
The United States and South Korea on Wednesday agreed to work together to strengthen the South’s ability to deter threats from North Korea. Their defense chiefs also endorsed a new military strategy to better coordinate the response to a nuclear, chemical or other attack from Pyongyang.

In February, North Korea conducted its third nuclear test, prompting the Security Council to tighten sanctions. That angered the North, which threatened nuclear strikes on the United States and its allies.

Tensions have since eased, and the North now appears more willing to engage in diplomacy. It wants to hold aid-for-disarmament negotiations without preconditions, but the United States says the government of the young leader Kim Jong Un should first take concrete steps to show that it’s serious about disarming.

Analysts say restarting the reactor could be part of an attempt by the North to assert itself as a nuclear power and extract concessions in negotiations that have been on hold for five years. AP


More in Politics

Justice minister suspends top prosecutor, accuses him of illegal surveillance, ethical violations

Seoul welcomes Blinken as a knowledgeable top envoy

PPP suggests slashing 'Korean New Deal' budget for 3rd round of relief grants

Former four-term DP lawmaker named as ambassador to Japan

Two women emerge as frontrunners in Seoul mayor race

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now