Shortstop finally agrees to rejoin the Red SoxThe Boston Red Sox have agreed to re-sign Stephen Drew, six months after the shortstop rejected a qualifying offer from the World Series champions to become a free agent.
Drew, who spent one season in Boston, turned down a $14.1 million offer from the Red Sox last year after helping the team capture its third title in 10 years.
The deal he accepted Tuesday, which is contingent on a physical, is for $14 million. The salary will be prorated depending on when Drew is added to the roster.
“We’ve added a very good player to improve this team,” Boston Manager John Farrell said Tuesday before the Red Sox hosted the Toronto Blue Jays.
The 31-year-old may require a minor league stint before joining the Red Sox. Once he is ready, Drew will take over at shortstop and rookie Xander Bogaerts will be shifted to third base.
Third baseman Will Middlebrooks was put on the disabled list Saturday with a fractured right index finger.
“We had a chance to sit and talk with Xander,” Farrell said. “He’s aware of everything that’s been talked about and reported, and just wanted to be a little bit ahead of things, as to what it might mean to his position going forward.”
The move comes as the Red Sox have lost four straight games, their longest skid since dropping their final eight of the 2012 season.
Drew hit .253 with 13 home runs and 67 RBIs in 124 games with Boston last season.