Prosecution dropped charges against Bieber
TORONTO - Prosecutors said Monday they have dropped an assault charge against Canadian pop star Justin Bieber in connection with an incident involving a Toronto limousine driver.
The withdrawn charge stemmed from an early-morning incident late last December, when Bieber and five other people were picked up by a limousine from a Toronto nightclub. Police alleged Bieber, 20, hit the limo driver several times in the back of the head.
The charge made headlines just days after Bieber was arrested in Miami on drunken driving and other charges.
Prosecutors said the assault charge was withdrawn because there was no reasonable prospect of conviction.
“It was the right decision based on the evidence and we’re pleased,’’ said Brian Greenspan, Bieber’s lawyer. “It’s our belief that no one assaulted the driver.’’
But the singer remains in trouble with the law.
Bieber is due in an Ontario court Sept. 29 to fight new charges. Greenspan said last week that Bieber had been arrested Aug. 29 on charges of dangerous driving and assault following a collision between a minivan and an ATV that led to a physical altercation with a photographer. Greenspan said Bieber was near his hometown of Stratford, Ontario, on a “peaceful retreat’’ with actress/singer Selena Gomez that “was unfortunately disrupted by the unwelcome presence of the paparazzi.’’
Police said there were no injuries as a result of the collision but could not say whether there were any injuries from the altercation.