[Cooking with Her Excellency, USA] Tteokgalbi (grilled short rib patties)
1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) beef (short ribs or other fatty meat)
4 tablespoons minced green onion
4 tablespoons minced garlic
4 tablespoons minced onion
4 tablespoons minced pear
2 tablespoons soy sauce
6 tablespoons sugar (can substitute honey)
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons sesame salt
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1. In a large bowl, rinse the short ribs of blood and put in a sieve to drain.
2. Remove beef from bones, cut away excess fat or ligaments and mince finely.
3. Combine remaining ingredients to make the marinade.
4. Setting a little bit of marinade aside, mix the rest with the minced meat in a bowl and knead it for around 10 minutes, until it gets a doughy texture.
5. Briefly boil the short rib bones for a few minutes. Shape the marinated minced meat into patties about 1 centimeter (0.4 inch) thick and wrap around the bones. (Can substitute vegetables such as asparagus or mushroom for bones, or cook beef patties alone.)
6. Cook the patties on low heat in a frying pan coated with oil or over a grill. Coat patties with the remainder of the marinade two to three times for a richer taste, until they are browned and cooked through.