North still hasn’t razed missile siteNorth Korea has not continued dismantling its key missile site since August, a U.S. website that analyzes the regime said Thursday.
North Korea has pledged to dismantle a missile engine testing site and a launch pad in Tongchang-ri as part of its stated commitment to denuclearize the Korean Peninsula. 38 North said satellite imagery from Oct. 31 indicates there has been no additional dismantlement activity since August.
“Components that were previously removed remain stacked on the ground at both locations,” 38 North said in an article posted on its website. Meanwhile, the imagery shows new equipment, possibly for ventilation, installed on the roof of a fuel and oxidizer storage bunker at the site.
“While the new equipment seems to have been installed between June and July 2018, previous imagery until late October had insufficient detail to distinguish between partial roof demolition and new equipment installation,” it said.
The United States and North Korea have been in talks to implement an agreement reached by U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un to work toward the “complete” denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula in exchange for security guarantees.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and a top North Korean official had been scheduled to meet in New York on Thursday to continue the negotiations and plan a second summit between Trump and Kim. The talks were abruptly postponed due to what the United States said were scheduling issues.
More in Politics
Yoon accepts Choo's order for independent probe of ally
Focus stays fixed on bigwigs with multiple residences
Lee Nak-yon, Kim Boo-kyum vie to lead DP
Powers-that-be's properties continue to embarrass
Unification Minister nominee stresses steady dialogue with North