Unknown man on base was soldierKorea’s defense ministry said Saturday an unidentified person found inside a naval base last week was found to be one of its soldiers.
On July 4, soldiers on guard duty found the unidentified person near the ammunition depot inside the Navy’s Second Fleet Command in Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi. When asked for a countersign, the person failed to give an answer and ran away, according to the Navy. Investigators have since looked into the case and concluded Saturday that the person was a sentry, who had been standing guard nearby.
“It looks like the person remained silent as he was afraid of the situation getting more serious,” said a defense ministry official who asked not to be named.
The ministry is reportedly mulling over charging the sentry with deserting his position as guard, and he could face up to two years of imprisonment.
Some critics have raised suspicions that the military attempted to cover up the case, as the defense minister was belatedly made aware of the incident.