중앙데일리

Nine North Koreans drift South and defect

북 주민 9명 목선 타고 서해로 귀순  PLAY AUDIO

June 16,2011
Nine North Koreans defected to the South on June 11 via the Yellow Sea on an engine-less boat, according to a government official in Seoul yesterday.

The defectors floated to U Island, northwest of Incheon, and started waving for help around 6:00 a.m. Soldiers on the island’s military base beckoned them ashore.

The military on the island had earlier detected an unidentified vessel heading south from the Northern Limit Line, which they later identified as the defectors’ boat.

Three men, two women and four children were on the boat, said the government official who asked to remain anonymous. Several were members of the same family.

After all nine declared their intentions to defect, they were taken to Gyeonggi for questioning by intelligence officials.

This is the second defection by North Koreans via the Yellow Sea this year after 31 North Korean drifted in a crab boat across the maritime border in February.

Four decided to defect and the remaining 27 were sent back to the North through the maritime border in March. North Korea had demanded the return of all 31 North Koreans at the time.

It’s expected to do the same for the nine new defectors. No statement was issued from North Korea’s official news agency as of yesterday afternoon on the defectors.

Most defections in the past decade involved five or fewer people. Eleven North Koreans defected via the East Sea on a boat in 2009.

Three families totaling 21 people on a fishing boat were rescued on the Yellow Sea in 2002.

These recent defections have raised suspicions of a growing food shortage in North Korea, but the South’s Ministry of Unification has said North Korea’s food situation is not “dire” compared to years before.


By Christine Kim [christine.kim@joongang.co.kr]


한글 관련 기사 [중앙일보]

북 주민 9명 목선 타고 서해로 귀순

11일 우도로 … 정부 뒤늦게 공개

두 형제의 가족이 포함된 북한 주민 9명이 서해상을 통해 집단 귀순했다. 정부 당국자는 15일 “어린이 4명을 포함한 9명의 주민이 지난 11일 소형 목선을 타고 서해 우도 해상을 통해 남측으로 넘어왔다”고 밝혔다. 이들은 현재 경기도 시흥의 중앙합동신문센터에서 귀순 동기와 대공 용의점 등에 대해 조사받고 있는 것으로 파악됐다. 황해도 지역에 거주하던 이들 주민은 형제의 가족인 것으로 알려졌으나 구체적인 가족 구성은 공개되지 않고 있다. 이번 귀순은 2000년대 들어 세 번째로 큰 규모(2002년 8월 21명, 2009년 10월 11명 귀순)다.

군 관계자는 “11일 새벽 정체불명의 선박이 남측으로 접근하는 것을 연평부대 경계병이 열영상장비(TOP)로 포착해 이동경로를 추적했다”며 “육안으로 식별 가능한 거리에서 배에 탄 북한 주민들이 손을 흔들어 귀순 의사를 밝혀 육지로 인도했다”고 말했다.

해상을 통한 북한 주민의 귀순은 2000년 이후 이번까지 모두 27차례에 이른다. 특히 지난해 다섯 차례 해상을 통한 탈북이 이뤄지는 등 최근 동·서해상을 선박으로 넘어온 경우가 드물지 않게 이뤄지고 있는 추세다. 이를 두고 북한의 식량난이 심각해지고 체제단속의 끈이 느슨해졌기 때문이 아니냐는 지적이 나온다.

9명의 집단 귀순에 대해 북한이 어떤 태도로 나올지에 정부 당국은 촉각을 곤두세우고 있다. 북한은 2월 남측으로 표류한 선박에 타고 있던 주민 31명 가운데 4명이 귀순 의사를 밝히자 이들의 송환을 요구했다. 남측이 ‘자유 의사에 따른 귀순’이란 점을 들어 거부하자 북한은 이들의 가족을 관영매체에 등장시켜 ‘강제 억류’라고 주장하는 등 대남 비난의 목소리를 높였다.

북한 국방위가 지난달 30일 성명에서 “이명박 역적패당과는 더 이상 상종하지 않을 것”이라고 밝히는 등 남북 관계가 악화일로를 치닫고 있다는 점에서 북한이 이번 귀순 사태에 강하게 반발하며 송환을 요구할 가능성도 있다. 정부 당국자는 “북한이 집단 탈북 사태를 비난하며 남북 관계를 더 대치 국면으로 가져갈 수 있다”고 말했다. 하지만 잇따른 탈북 사태가 오히려 주민들의 동요를 촉발시킬 수 있다는 측면에서 더 이상 거론하지 않을 것이란 전망도 나온다.




[한글 원문 보기]
dictionary dictionary | 프린트 메일로보내기 내블로그에 저장