Former AOA member Jimin to compete on JTBC's 'Second Word'
Former girl group AOA member and rapper Jimin is making a return to the local entertainment scene after a two-year hiatus following allegations she bullied one of her fellow group members.
Jimin will compete in "Second Word," JTBC's K-pop survival show for rappers in K-pop groups. She'll compete alongside other prominent artists such as Wonder Girls' Yubin, WJSN's Exy, Momoland's JooE, and Billlie's Moon Su-ah.
During an online press conference for the program on Tuesday, Jimin said that she feels "cautious" appearing before the camera and public once more.
"I planned my return because I thought that if I tried my best, they [the public] may like me more," she said. "When I was planning my return, I wanted to return as a singer. This show is a huge opportunity for me."
In July 2020, AOA member Mina wrote online that Jimin had bullied her for some 10 years and that Jimin is the reason why she departed from the girl group. Mina left AOA in 2019.
Following the allegations, Jimin quit AOA and announced that she would retire from the industry. But last month, she signed on with a new entertainment agency Alo Malo Entertainment.
AOA debuted in 2012 with eight members but was left with five members last year when Youkyoung, Choa and Mina left at different times. Jimin was a semi-finalist in the first season of Mnet's rapper survival program "Unpretty Rapstar" in 2015.
"Second World" premieres on JTBC at 8:50 p.m. on Tuesday.
BY LEE JIAN [email@example.com]