Can financial stress lower your IQ?

Home > 영어학습 > Bilingual News

print dictionary print

Can financial stress lower your IQ?

테스트

An interesting study on the correlation between IQ and financial stress was recently reported. According to a paper published in Science Magazine, changes in financial situations result in clear differences on IQ tests. For example, sugar cane farmers in India took IQ tests four months before the harvest and then after the harvest, and the result after the harvest was 9 to 10 points higher than the pre-harvest score. Poverty not only brings psychological pressure and financial difficulties but also reduces some of the brain’s abilities, making it harder to overcome poverty.

However, Korea’s establishment has an especially large number of self-made success cases, and they tend to believe that poor people are not smart - rather than that poverty can lower your IQ. They spread the myth that those who are diligent and strong-willed can succeed. Of course, there was a time when everyone was poor and you could climb the ladder of success by working hard.

But that period is over, and we are now living in an age when the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. That’s what Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz calls the “shadow of the market economy” in his book, “The Price of Inequality: How Today’s Divided Society Endangers Our Future.” Today, the axiom that “you can become rich if you try” is no longer valid.

I personally believed that the controversial debate over “economic democratization,” or economic justice, began from this reality check. However, related laws are focused on regulations and restrictions against the conglomerates - as if they are “retaliation against chaebol.”

The president took a step back and promised to correct toxic provisions, and industries demanded realistic and substantial legislation. This time, the president wants a special plan to increase the middle class to 70 percent of the entire population and to attain a 70 percent employment rate. She said that a creative economy was the only answer. But is the rhetoric of numbers and economic terms enough to attain economic democratization?

September has come. Two years ago, protestors who claimed to be the 99 percent occupied Wall Street, the heart of New York City’s capitalism. The confrontation between the top 1 percent and the remaining 99 percent is the crooked face of today’s capitalism.

The U.S. president is also advocating restoration of the middle class. At this point, Stiglitz’s suggestion of “awakening the top 1 percent” may give us a clue. The wealthy need to realize that the fate of the top 1 percent is inseparable from the fate of the 99 percent. Whether they would live in an exclusive world within the society of isolation and despair or in the community of liberty and justice for all depends on the very awareness of their fate.

*The author is an editorial writer of the JoongAng Ilbo.

by YANG SUNNY














최근 재미있는 연구결과가 나왔는데, 지능이 주머니사정에 따라 즉각 변한다는 내용이다. 미국 하버드대 등 연구진이 과학전문지 사이언스 최근호에 발표한 논문에 따르면, 경제 상황의 변화에 따라 지능지수(IQ)검사를 했더니 결과에 명확한 차이가 났다는 것이다. 한 예로 인도 사탕수수 농부에게 수확 4개월 전과 수확 후 각각 IQ테스트를 했더니 수확 후 IQ가 수확 전보다 9~10포인트나 높았단다. 가난은 심리적 위축이나 생활의 어려움을 넘어 아예 두뇌마저 위축시켜 가난을 극복하는 데 더욱 어려움을 가져올 수 있다는 것이다.
그런데 자수성가 성공신화가 유난히 많은 우리 기득권층은 '가난해서 머리가 나빠진다'는 사실보다 '머리가 나빠서 가난해진다'는 데 더 큰 믿음을 갖는다. 그래서 성실하고 의지가 강하면 성공할 수 있다는 신화를 퍼뜨린다. 물론 모두 가난했고, 신분상승도 자기 하기 나름이었던 '신화의 시대'가 있었다. 한데 그 시대는 끝났고 우린 '부익부빈익빈 시대'에 산다. 노벨경제학상 수상자 조지프 스티글리츠 교수가 말한 '시장경제의 가장 어두운 그림자, 심화되는 불평등'의 사회다.(『불평등의 대가』,열린책들) 이 시대엔 '의지만 있으면 부자가 될 수 있다'는 말이 더 이상 통하지 않는다.
수많은 논쟁거리를 던졌던 '경제민주화' 논의를, 개인적으론 이런 현실인식에서 출발했다고 믿었다. 한데 관련법안은 '재벌에 대한 보복 법안'이라는 말을 들을 정도로 규제일변도로 가더니, 이내 대통령이 직접 "독소 조항은 바로잡겠다"며 물러섰고, 재계는 때를 만난 듯 실질적 입법조치를 하라며 목소리를 높인다. 어째 전반적으로 갈 지(之)자 걸음을 보는 것 같다. 이번엔 대통령이 '중산층 70% 복원, 고용률 70% 달성을 위한 특단의 대책'을 주문하며, 창조경제가 해답이라고 했다. 숫자와 용어로 장식된 '수사학'으로 경제는 민주화될까.
9월이다. 2년 전 이맘때엔 자본주의의 심장부 미국 뉴욕 월가가 "우리는 99%"라고 외치는 시위대에 점령당했다. 경제력이 집중된 상위 1%와 나머지 99%의 대립은 이 시대 자본주의의 일그러진 모습으로 떠올랐다. 중산층 회복을 외치는 건 우리나라뿐 아니라 미국 대통령도 마찬가지다. 이 시점에 스티글리츠 교수가 제시한 '상위 1%의 각성'은 하나의 실마리가 될 수 있지 않을까. 1%의 운명은 99%의 운명과 떼려야 뗄 수 없는 관계에 있다는 인식. 50년 후 부유층이 소외와 절망의 사회 속에서 폐쇄된 그들만의 세상에 살게 될는지, '만인을 위한 자유와 정의'가 실현된 공동체에서 살는지는 이런 인식 여하에 달렸다는 각성 말이다.
양선희 논설위원

More in Bilingual News

Stop attacks on Yoon (KOR)

Power corrupts (KOR)

Who hampers the investigation? (KOR)

Fearing the jab (KOR)

Passion versus numbers (KOR)

Log in to Twitter or Facebook account to connect
with the Korea JoongAng Daily
help-image Social comment?
lock icon

To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.

Standards Board Policy (0/250자)

What’s Popular Now